Monday, February 9, 2015

Lab #1: Transportation

DAY 1: 

Taking the shuttle bus to and from the grocery store was my form of transportation today. Although the bus only caters to UNCSA students, it is still public transportation.
Simply taking one bus ride to a public place allows me to interact with people around me. Whether or not I sit with someone on the bus, being able to simply share a smile or a “hello” with someone else builds social capital. I think that public transit has a lot of advantages outside of socialization. It is better for the environment, as less people are using their cars, and could also save money on things like gas.
I think it is very interesting how last year I rarely took public transportation, and now I only take public transportation. It has taught me that although having your own individual car can be nice, it is not difficult or unpleasant to use public transit.

DAY 2:
Being a high school student at UNCSA restricts individual transportation in many ways. Since we are not allowed to have a car here, if I’m not traveling in a bus or taxi with multiple people, I am walking.
So, I documented walking alone around campus for a day. I realized that when I was walking alone, a lot of other people were, too. I think it has to do with the differing schedules of the students on this campus and the fact that time is very precious. So, walking alone and having this “isolated” transportation may be efficient at times because you don’t have to wait for others or plan your day around a bus schedule that leaves at a certain time.
Also, speaking from days where I am home and I only use my car for transportation, I rarely have to interact with anyone. I could easily go the whole day without speaking to a single person while using personal methods of transportation.

No comments:

Post a Comment